Monday 5 November 2012

Reading Reflection

Reading Reflection #6


Book: Everest book 2
Author: Gordon Korman
Pages Read: 9-13

For a short chapter it certainly packed a lot of information including the long awaited introduction of Ethan Zaph. The thing I found interesting in this book is just how people react when they see Dominic. Being the youngest one there and short for his age most of the characters who have met him so far have been surprised. Despite this initial reaction I found Zaph to be a relatively down to earth person. At least when no one else is around. Another interesting element of the meeting is the venue. They met at a Buddhist temple in Kathmandu before leaving for Everest. What makes this location interesting is the statement that Sir Edmund Hillary had gone there before his ascent. The first to be successful. I wonder if this statement is true or not?   Another aspect of the encounter was the way Ethan finished it, stating, " Go slow and be honest with yourself about when it's time to quit." This statement and others that  Ethan makes through out the meeting are a clear indication that Ethan Zaph does not believe Dominic will make it to the summit. I wonder how this belief will change as the rest of the story progresses.
 If I was asked to name the character I am most like that would probably have to be Perry. Like him I have a fear of falling from heights. Like him my hobby is something most people would consider a vertigo inducing experience. Unlike Perry I actually enjoy flying airplanes. Another similar aspect is a sort of to ones self book worm demeanor. I would love to write more about what I have read but chapter 2 was rather short and the only other reference was to Sammi going rollerblading down the streets and hitting a yak.

No comments:

Post a Comment