Monday 29 October 2012

Reading Reflection

Reading Reflection #5
Everest book 1 Chapter 12 to 19 and Everest book 2 chapter 1
Author: Gordon Korman

Well, it took more than a month but I managed to grind through the first book. The last chapters certainly didn't disappoint. To begin with, they announced the list of people who have made the team and to my initial surprise Dominic or Tilt were not on the list. However, this turned out to be a red herring and just like I predicted Dominic made the team. Though, initially,Tilt didn't make the team. To me this smelled like another red herring. He is the main antagonist of the story and it wouldn't be right just to drop him a third of the way through. So, it was no surprise when he was picked as the replacement for Bryn after her accident. This also removed any doubt about Tilt being naturally irritating. In boot camp you could of argued that he was just being competitive trying to have an edge over his competition. Here on his way to Everest his attitude continues and it shows no sign have having diminished.

Bryn's accident, also didn't come as a surprise. It was already well established that she slept walked causing damage. Combined with the theory that Tilt was not finished yet it was easy to come up with the idea that something was going to happen to her as a result of sleep walking before they reached Everest. The abruptness of the incident was not expected. For a moment I truly believed that she might have been a casualty. Then I remembered the pro-log specifically stating the death was on Everest. My question changed from did she to how did she survive? A question I pose to myself is how did she survive a 40 foot drop into an ice crevice, and how did Dominic mange to get down there when none of the others could. Bryn may not have been Tilt's size but there probably was a chance that if Dominic could make through another person could.  Whether or not they would have been effective in this situation is still anyone's guess.

So far I have addressed my main feelings about the first book. Now on to the second one. I found the prologue interesting not only does it reintroduce Tilt but it reconfirms that somebody will not be coming home. As for me, it is either Tilt because of his attitude and demeanor, or Perry because of his lack of experience and fear of the very sport he is partaking in. I'll probably have a final prediction on this on the beginning of third book if I get that far. A question I do ask myself is what about Zaph. The last we heard of him he was signed on with another expedition going to Everest. Will his character play any further part in the story. I hope so, we have never had him present so far, and I would love to see what Korman would do with him. Overall the book and the story has progressed by leaps and bounds since that first chapter of Dominic looking for a V.  

marc vallee

No comments:

Post a Comment